Moon Phases may be the last thing that occurs to you, if at all when it comes to getting your health and life-work balance right, but think about it! Do you sometimes find yourself trying to push for something only to see it stall? Unable to relax or sleep when you need to, buzzing when you know you should be snoozing?
Moon phases could be the only thing that may offer an anchor in the ebbs and flow of current reality. Remember what your “normal” used to be? The bright lights and busyness of The City made it easy to lose track of yourself. So does living in isolation for long enough to forget the days of the week.
Nevertheless, it’s time to hone your intuition and retune with the subtle rhythms of nature. Discover how easy and enjoyable it can be to reconnect with your expanded nature and regain your sparkle! Learn how to synchronise your life rhythm with the Moon Phases to regain your life-work balance, manage your energy, and enjoy life more. Here’s why.
Our Pace and Quality of Life are directly influenced by the Lunar Phases and Solar Cycles
Historically, humanity has been fascinated with the Sun, Moon, and Stars. Externally, we measure our age by the number of Earth spins around the Sun, sail by the tides, grow and harvest crops according to seasons, timed by moon cycles, and, in modern biodynamic gardening, in relation to the Sun, Moon, and the Zodiac!
Likewise, the Moon influences the water element internally. According to science, our body is on average 60% water, with the heart and brain 73%, lungs about 83%, kidneys and muscles 79%, and bones 31%. Therefore, the Moon influences our autonomic physiology, subconscious mind, psychology, sleep, and dream as much as our lifestyle does. A 2013 study published in Current Biology gathered the first scientifically measured Evidence that the Lunar Cycle Influences Human Sleep, showing that we get around 20 minutes less sleep at Full Moon compared with a New Moon.
Moon Phases and their Meaning
According to all Practical Wisdom Traditions, every moon phase has a function and timely activities to make the best use of the available cosmic influences. Taking this ancient knowledge into account in our planning of personal or work projects can help us navigate the ebbs and flow of life more easily, and better our chances of attaining our goals.
- New Moon / Waxing Crescent – Week 1 /First Quarter of the Cycle, until 50% of the Moon is visible – set your intentions – it’s time to start something new. Begin a project, create a new habit, a novel approach.
- Waxing Gibbous – Week 2 of the Lunar Cycle – time to push and grow; energy is available, nurture what you have created; invest yourself, increase effort to reach a milestone or the apex by the Full Moon.
- Full Moon – the moment of maximum intensity and illumination; make this the finishing point, aim for completion, accomplishment, achievement by this time in the Lunar Cycle. Emotions may run high. You are likely to sleep less – use this perfect time for Lucid Dreaming, Dream Planting, and Full Moon Rituals
- Disseminating Moon / Waning Gibbous – Week 3 of the Moon Cycle – new understanding is possible, gain clarity – what are the conclusions? What are you learning? What worked, what didn’t? How can you refine the process? What will you keep, what needs to go?
- Waning Moon – Week 4 /Last Quarter – reduce your efforts, gradually withdraw, and prepare the ground for the new cycle. Time to clean up, release, declutter – cut out what doesn’t work, and make some room.
- Dark Moon – point Zero – invisible, but holding the full potential. Remove hidden obstacles before a new start. Learn to transform and manage your energies.
If you were to use this for business, think of the phases of the moon as the five phases of the Project Management Lifecycle: Initiation – Planning – Execution – Monitoring & Control – Closure. The time scale may differ, but the process is the same. Download a FREE Printable 2020 Phases of the Moon Calendar to use for guidance. Experiment! I’d love to hear back from you, see if it makes things easier or smoother. It should at least help you plan and manage your efforts strategically, and become more in tune with the natural rhythms of life in the process.
New Moon Rituals
Full Moon Rituals
Full Moon rituals are many and generally performed at Full Moon gatherings. As the energy climaxes, many people think the purpose of this moon phase is to release, take the pressure off. However, this need for a release is generally mistaken for an opportunity for an energy dump – which is in fact a loss of energy! The Full Moon brings things to a head, but also brings culmination, peak, achievement, illumination.
The days after the Full Moon (the beginning of the Disseminating phase) is the perfect time for teaching and learning, drawing conclusions, and starting to refine the process. Only after that, during the Waning Moon, the natural flow helps you release the obsolete, remove obstacles, and clear the way for the new Moon Cycle, and, hopefully, better new beginnings with the New Moon.
An exception is at the time of an Eclipse
This is when you’d use energy healing techniques differently, to dispel fear and confusion and gain much-needed clarity and direction. 2020 will be remembered as The Eclipse Year – we have 6 eclipses instead of the usual 3-4. The one on the 10th of January started to shake up the old structures (Capricorn) and amplified our emotions (Cancer) – a sense of insecurity and fear marred our collective psyche, as the world shut down (Covid-19) and the cracks in the old social structures started to widen. Not long before it will all change, as this reality does not sustain us.
At the Strawberry Full Moon on the 5th of June I ran an online workshop designed as a practical group healing session to help my clients stay well and connected while in isolation. We worked with
- the South Lunar Node (representing the past) to release old ideologies and outdated plans, in view of current changes
- the Penumbral Eclipse to clear the shadow (doubt, confusion, blindspots, heavy emotions, insecurities, and blocks)
- the vibrant energy and brilliant qualities of the Sagittarius Full Moon to gain clarity and direction for the next 18 months, as the Moon’s Nodal Axis shifted to Sagittarius-Gemini until 2022.
- Planted better dreams for ourselves and the collective – much-needed healing
Eclipses are dynamic catalysts – let’s shift the energies, keep things moving! The last eclipse of this summer is at the Capricorn Full Moon on the 5th July – circling back to the events of January – what is it that we didn’t see then? Are we getting clarity?
After all the shocks, traumas, and suffering of the first half of the year, we get together at the time of the Waning Moon’s conjunction with Alcyone on the 15th July, for a deep Holistic Detox & Soul Spa evening, with a focus on immunity and how we can make it an enjoyable, healthy, and safe lifestyle in isolation or back in the community.
Click the image below to see full details and catch one of the fast action tickets to the Holistic Detox Online Class with Plant Allies and Cosmic Helpers. Register now!
My Favourites: Moon Rituals in Mesoamerican Spiritual Traditions
In the Toltec/Mexica tradition, for instance, the Full Moon is the number one occasion for Collective Healings, Lucid Dreaming, Dream Planting, and Empowering the Hands with the Moon. The Women hold Dream Ceremonies in person or in Collective Dream State. That’s what we did at my Full Moon gathering in London on the 10th of January 2020. Out of the 27 people registered, quite a few had amazing experiences that generated subsequent self-discovery, magical synchronicities and healing. As the Dream State of Consciousness overlaps with similar realities, one of us had a visitation from a much-loved ancestor, another was pulled to the top of the Dream Pyramid, and saw her highest potential, while somebody who works with the Divine Feminine, created such powerful imagery, that she inadvertently projected her visualisation into the middle of the room, sharing her dream symbol with the collective. Join our next event online! We had a great Zoom Online Meetup at the Venus-Pleiades conjunction on the 3rd of April, a rare close encounter, which only takes place once every 8 years!
Moon & Pleiades Initiations in the Mexica Tradition
Alignments between the Earth, the Moon, the Sun and the Pleiades make up the time engine that keeps the Aztec Calendar going, creating cycles of time ranging from a fraction of a minute to 52 years on the smaller scale of time, and 26,500 years in the grand scheme of cosmic cycles that we are part of and feel subjected to. Wouldn’t it be good to actually be in charge of what happens to your life and processes if only you knew how to work with the energies and qualities these cosmic bodies can lend us? After all, they are part of our expanded nature!
I recently taught Moon Magic & Pleiades Initiations online at the auspicious time of an unmissable cosmic alignment that we used energetically for healing ourselves, our ancestors, family, and friends.